With origins in the heart of Naples, this Italian dinner is as delightful to eat as it is to prepare. The secret is out! Frying the pizza base gives a beautiful crusty texture on the outside and a melt in your mouth softness on the inside. Topped with a bit of spice from our smoky matured European style pepperoni, it’s a winner.
Tip: Ready-made pizza dough is available from supermarkets
1-2 Skara Pepperoni sausages, sliced
200-300g fresh pizza dough, at room temperature
Extra plain flour
400g chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp garlic
200g fresh mozzarella, shredded
Sage, basil or other herbs (optional)
- For the sauce, add the chopped tomatoes, garlic and olive oil into a small saucepan on low-medium heat. Allow to simmer until heated through.
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and break off a small fist size portion of pizza dough.Place the dough onto the floured surface and sprinkle with extra flour. Knead the dough, pushing and pulling it out into a small flat circle until around ½ cm thick. Repeat for as many pizza bases as you’d like to make, then set aside.
- Pour enough oil into a small fry pan to cover the cooking surface, then heat up to frying temperature. (To check this, place a wooden skewer or chopstick in the oil and if it bubbles at the tip, the oil is ready for frying.)
- Take one of the pizza dough bases and stretch it out again before gently laying it into the pan. Fry for around 30 seconds to 1 minute. The dough will puff up and the underside will start to turn golden brown.
- Use a metal flipper, tongs or cooking chopsticks and gently turn over the base to cook the other side. Remove from the oil and place onto a plate covered with paper towel. Repeat for the remaining pizza bases.
- Spoon sauce over each pizza base and layer with pepperoni and mozzarella. Eat as is, or place under the grill for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Garnish with fresh herbs for that extra flavour kick.