A blonde or white lasagne is made without a tomato base, allowing delicate flavours to shine. The result is a creamy chicken ragu richly flavoured by our Skara Pancetta and complimented by leeks, lemon and basil.
1 bunch spinach, washed, trimmed and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
2 sticks celery, finely diced
100g Skara Flat Pancetta, finely chopped
500g chicken mince
1 cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
140g tub cream cheese
½ cup basil leaves, shredded
300g lasagne sheets
1 cup pizza cheese
60g unsalted butter
1/3 cup plain flour
1 ½ litres milk
1 ½ cups finely grated parmesan
salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced) and lightly grease a large deep baking dish with butter and place on a baking tray.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over a medium heat. Add spinach, stirring to combine, cover and wilt for 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool before squeezing to remove excess water. Set aside until required.
- In the same saute pan, heat remaining olive oil over a low heat. Add leeks, garlic, carrot, celery and pancetta, stirring until well coated. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft and tender.
- Add chicken, increasing heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes or until chicken turns white. Use a wooden spoon to help break chicken up whilst cooking.
- Add wine, stock and zest, stirring until combined. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add cream cheese, salt and pepper, stirring to combine and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile for the béchamel sauce, place butter in a medium saucepan over a medium heat, until melted. Add flour, stirring until well combined, cook for 2-3 minutes before adding milk and whisking until well combined. Slowly bring up to a simmer, whisking continuously until sauce becomes smooth and thickens. Remove from heat, add parmesan, stirring continuously until cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add prepared spinach and basil to chicken ragu, stirring to combine.
- Spread base of prepared lasagne dish with bechamel sauce. Place lasagne sheets across the bottom of the baking dish, followed by a quarter of the chicken filling and drizzle with 1 cup of bechamel sauce. Repeat the process until you have four layers of chicken filling.
- Finish with remaining lasagne sheets and top with rest of the béchamel sauce over the top and sprinkle with pizza cheese. Cover lasagne with a sheet of oiled foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until top is golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.